F-4 Phantom II was designed as a fleet defense fighter for the U.S. Navy and entered service in 1960. In 1963 he came into his possession the U.S. Air Force (USAF), which adapted it as a fighter-bomber aircraft. Until the end of production in 1981 Lockeed left 5195 machines, making the most numerous of the Phantom is an American built military aircraft. Until the implementation of the next machine factory McDonnell Douglas F-15 fighter Eagle also holds the record for the longest-produced aircraft, remaining in production for 24 years. Innovative solutions applied for the first time in a military aircraft was a pulse Doppler radar and extensive use of titanium for the construction of the hull.
Despite the substantial size and large maximum take-off mass of up to 27000 kg, F-4 Phantom could reach the maximum speed is 2.23 Ma, and rate of climb 210 m / s. Shortly after their introduction into service in the F-4 Phantom II, set 16 world records including a record rate of speed of 2585.086 kilometers / h record of the ceiling rate of 30 040 m. The F-4 Phantom was first in many aerospace innovations. One system introduced in 1959 was the buddy tank inflight refueling system which was tested successfully at supersonic speeds and new weapons were tested such as the GE/Philco AAM-N-7 sidewinder missile. It was able to attain an initial climb of 35,000 ft/min and was able to carry an external bomb load of no less than 22,500 lb. It was truly a remarkable airplane.